9 Little Known Carpet Cleaning Secrets for Spot and Stain Removal
Removing tough stains from carpeting can be a real challenge. Accidents and spills can ruin carpeting if not treated properly. We have put together a helpful list of techniques for removing really difficult stains from carpeting, our 9 little know secrets for carpet spot and stain removal.
- Pet Stains - For cleaning a large pet urine stain blot the carpet with a damp towel to remove as much liquid as possible then blot with a dry towel. Use a mild detergent with the damp towel to help remove the odor and stain. If the stain is large and has soaked through the carpet and padding, a professional cleaning may be required and the padding may need to be replaced.
- Plant Soil - A spilled potted plant is a common carpet stain problem. Let the soil dry first and then vacuum as much soil up as possible. Do not rub or grind the dirt into the carpeting. After all the soil is removed clean the carpet with a mild detergent.
- Latex Paint - Spilled latex paint is a real challenge, keep the area damp and using a pie or putty knife scrape as much paint as possible without spreading or pushing it deeper into the carpet. For a small spill this will work, for a large spill call a professional carpet cleaner.
- Nail Polish - Nail polish can be removed with a non acetone nail polish remover. Check the carpet with the nail polish remover in a small area, a corner or somewhere not very visible to see if the color of the carpet will be affected. Use a towel and gently rub until the nail polish is wicked out.
- Makeup - This is a common problem around Halloween, cold cream used with a towel to gently wick the carpet may remove the stain. If a large area is affected call a professional carpet cleaner.
- Blood - Use a damp cotton towel, wick the area first then blot with a dry towel.
- Wine - Use a damp cotton towel, wick the area first then blot with a dry towel. Repeat until the stain has been removed. This may take a while but will usually remove the stain.
- Grease / Oil - Use odorless mineral spirits on a dry towel, rub gently until the stain wicks into the towel.
- Small Food Spills - The wet and then dry towel method usually works well. Blot first with a wet towel. and then blot with a dry towel. If the stain remains use a small amount of detergent (liquid hand soap) use the damp towel to wick out the detergent.
We hope these carpet stain removal tips work for you, we have successfully used them for years. If you need a professional carpet clean call Capital Carpet today.